Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Mission Accomplished

When I last wrote I had cornered a possum, snacking on refried beans, in the trash can and I was waiting for Paul to get up so we could deal with him.

Paul came down the stairs earlier than usual. He was bleary-eyed but determined. He said we had to deal with the possum before we went to school. I was sure we could wait until that evening. But, Paul assured me the possum would cook in the trash can during the day and then we would have an even worse problem. I was persuaded to get dressed so we could launch into possum retrieval and delivery mode.

We went out the door. I removed the step stool from the top of the can. Paul peered in and questioned whether there was even a possum there. I assured him that one was in there when I put the lid on the can.

He got out his gloves and began removing the now moldy remains of the trash that hadn't come out of the can the last time the trash men had emptied it. He was almost to the bottom of the can when there, under a pineapple top, was a possum. He grabbed him and put him in the laundry basket and I clamped on the lid. I am getting good at this! We named him Stinky.

Paul went inside and got the car keys and I headed for the car. Of course, by now it is getting light, and I am worried about being seen making a possum delivery at the historical society. I suggest that perhaps we should go to Maple Park which is closer. Paul assures me that Stinky will want to be with his siblings. So the three of us head down Peoria Avenue. We check out the early walkers at the arboretum, find a sheltered spot and I manage to open car the door and sling Stinky into the monkey grass in one swift motion without being seen by anyone. Thank goodness they don't have one of those observation cameras there. (we checked) We returned home and got dressed for school. I had to wash out my laundry basket because it was well . . .stinky.

We haven't seen any possums since then. I put bread on the floor one night and it was still there the next morning so we have either been abandoned or been taken off their nightly foraging routes. I am a happy camper.

In speaking with our neighbors we have discovered that the lady two houses down had been troubled by a possum outside her house. She got a live trap from the humane society and trapped a large adult possum. Apparently she was the mother of our little guys. After she left the neighborhood they began foraging for themselves. We simply became the unlucky hosts.

Every morning as Paul and I drive to work, we go down Peoria and drive by the historical society. I always wave to Snarl, Stretch and Stinky, or as I refer to them, "The S Squad." I hope they are happy and healthy in their new home.

If you looked you may have noticed I titled this entry "Mission Accomplished." I intentionally chose the same title that our President chose to announce his victory in the invasion of Iraq. Although I looked, I could not find any clipart of possums flying jet fighters. I am still concerned that I will have an underground possum insurgency. But, I am confident they will not learn to make IED's or car bombs. Victory is ours!

At least until I see the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home